Best Vacuum Cleaner for Steps – Stairs are difficult to clean, but not when you have the right vacuum. Choosing the best vacuum for stairs requires a careful evaluation of the models on the market. Uprights and canister vacuums offer great suction but don’t score high when it comes to portability and usability on a staircase. Cordless stick vacuums and handhelds are lighter, more portable, and easier to use. They are also the most suitable for emergencies such as pet accidents and spills. The best ones come equipped with features to produce impressive results, which makes them more preferable.
When buying a cordless model to clean the stairs, consider it’s runtime and suction power. A powerful vacuum will ensure no dirt remains. It will also clean different surfaces, including carpets. Ensure, too, that the device is lightweight enough to carry in your hands or hoist from one step to another. To clean the different parts of a staircase, choose a vacuum that comes with the necessary attachments or tools.
Before purchasing a vacuum, you will want to compare not only the price, size, and model type but also the set of accessories, the extra features (e.g., LED lights), and the materials of which it’s made of. Just because a product costs an arm and a leg does not mean it is perfect for your needs. And just because something is inexpensive does not mean it can’t meet your expectations. I would love to read your comments on my thoughts.back to menu ↑
- Two ultra-powerful cyclonic air streams for incredible suction and long-lasting filter and motor life
- Detachable self-cleaning Pet Power Brush eliminates hair wrap from the floor, upholstery, and the brushroll
- Features an XL dust cup to tackle big jobs
- Lightweight and portable at only 2. 8 lbs.
- Contains a washable filter for easy cleanup.
- CleanTouch dirt ejector for easy, hands-free debris disposal
- Lithium-ion technology ensures reliable performance during each use
- Comes with a crevice tool and scrubbing brush clean hard-to-reach places and remove stuck-on dirt
back to menu ↑
2.Samsung Jet 90
- DUAL CHARGING AND 60 MIN BATTERY LIFE - Use your vacuum for up to 60 minutes of uninterrupted cleaning before a recharge is needed; easily swap the battery with a spare*, plus you can charge two batteries at once with the Dual Charging Station in just 3.5 hours
- ADVANCED PERFORMANCE - Clean hardwood, tile, and carpeting thanks to the vacuum’s 200 Air Watts of intense suction power
- LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN - Built to go around your home with ease at a mere 6 pounds and with four length adjustments; the Jet 90 makes it easy to vacuum stairs, reach beneath sofas or appliances, clean high cabinets, window blinds and more
- TURBO ACTION BRUSH - Rotating more than 3,700 times a minute and with 180° swivel flexibility, the Turbo Action Brush cleans dust, hair, and other debris on multiple surfaces
- JET CYCLONE - Keep debris from building up on the filter with the powerful multi-cyclonic system that pushes dirt into the dustbin
back to menu ↑
- CORDLESS, PORTABLE, & ULTRA COMPACT - 20V MAX Lithium Hand Vac with Pet Brush.
- FOUR FOOT FLEXIBLE HOSE - Clean floor to ceiling
- WASHABLE BOWL AND FILTER - Easy-to-clean 17 oz. capacity dirt bowl.
- QUICK CHARGING - Charging station and base keeps the unit charged and accessories organized.
- PET BRUSH - Clean stubborn pet hair from carpets, stairs, and other upholstery.
back to menu ↑
4.Flagship Dyson V7
- 【Powered by the Dyson digital motor V7 】 Engineered for powerful suction on carpets and hard floors; No-touch dirt emptying : No need to touch the dirt – just pull the lever to release. Quickly transforms to a handheld vacuum, to clean all around your home and car
- 【Whole-machine HEPA filtration】 Certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Whole-machine HEPA filtration ensures that allergens are trapped inside the machine, not expelled back into the home.
- 【Hygienic bin emptying+ Docking station 】 Just push the button to release the dirt. Tidily stores and recharges your Dyson V7 vacuum, so always ready for use.; Easily reaches up high : Lightweight and ergonomic to clean high-up places with one smooth motion. Direct drive cleaner head; Up to 6 minutes of fade free power (in Max mode); Drives stiff nylon bristles into carpets to capture deep down dirt
- 【Cord free+ Lightweight and versatile】 Hassle free. Filtration : Washable lifetime filter. Whole machine HEPA filtration captures allergens and expels cleaner air than the air you breathe. Lightweight and versatile, for easy home cleaning. Instant-release trigger means battery power is only used while it’s cleaning. Requires charging for 3.5 hours minimum before first use.
- 【Combination tool + Authorized Hubxcel Microfiber Cloth】 Two tools in one, for simple switching between surfaces; Crevice tool : Designed for precise cleaning around edges and narrow gaps; Up to 30 minutes of fade-free power : Powerful suction for whole-home cleaning. Actual run time will vary based on power mode and/or attachments used. 【Authorized Hubxcel One Microfiber Cloth】one cloth per order, colors may vary.
back to menu ↑
- Efficient Cordless Cleaning: Powered by the latest motor technology the Rapid Clean makes cleaning convenient and thorough
- 40 Minutes Long Lasting Runtime: Up to 40 min of fade-free runtime. Easily switch to MAX power on fingertip controls to increase suction for better cleaning on carpet and rugs
- Easy Rest Feature: Need to take a break. The specially designed Easy Rest nook allows you to safely prop the vacuum up on countertops and furniture
- Under Furniture Reach: We moved the dust cup to the front so you can lay the vacuum completely flat to reach under beds and furniture with ease
- LED Headlights: Bright beams light the way so you can see dust and debris that might otherwise have been missed and make cleaning under furniture much easier
back to menu ↑
- Save time by vacuuming and washing floors in one easy step.
- Cordless and lightweight, with up to 22 minutes of continuous cleaning power.
- Picks up messy, sticky spills and pet hair, while two-tank system cleans with fresh water or cleaning solution.
- Safe to use on indoor sealed hard floors, including hardwood, tile, laminate, vinyl, marble and linoleum. Hands-free, self-cleaning system keeps brush roller and tubes clean and odor-free.
- iFloor Complete model includes: 3-in-1 Cleaning Tool, Self-Cleaning Storage Tray, Charging Adaptor, (2x) Tineco Deodorizing & Cleaning Solution bottles and (2x) Brush Rollers.
- Capacity: 0.55 liters
back to menu ↑
- Save time vacuuming and washing floors in one easy step, leaving floors instantly dry and streak free
- This special COMPLETE edition of iFloor 3 includes an enhanced accessory pack with (2) roller brushes, (2) HEPA filters, and (2) bottles of Tineco Deodorizing and Cleaning Solution, so you're always ready to tackle the next sticky mess.
- iFLOOR 3 features powerful scrubbing and suction to tackle tough, stuck-on messes or everyday floor cleaning on sealed hard floors like hardwood, vinyl, laminate, linoleum, tile, and marble.
- Cordless and lightweight, iFloor 3 quietly cleans for up to 25 minutes of continuous cleaning power
- Hands-free, self-cleaning system keeps the brush and tubes clean and odor-free. Please note that the machine must use Tineco solution to ensure long-term use. The use of a non-Tineco solution may cause corrosion and damage to the machine.
back to menu ↑
8.Wet Dry Vacuum
- ALL-IN-ONE WET DRY VACUUN CLEANER - Vacuum, moping and wash at the same time, leaving floors instantly dry and streak free. Small particle garbage as well as liquid and wet garbage can be picked up quickly, such as dust, debris, hair, yogurt, coffee, baby food etc. Adding solution to the wet-dry vacuum cleaner, you can control how much formula you want with the water spray button.
- NO CORD NO HASSLE - AlfaBot T36 cordless vacuum and mop equppied with 2600mAh lithium battery, extends runtime up to 30 mins with intelligently optimized suction. cordless, lightweight and easy to use. (NOTE: The battery pack is removable, you can buy an extra battery to DOUBLE the run time up to 60 mins!!! ASIN of the battery: B091GJ141S)
- MULTI-SURFACE FLOOR CLEANER MACHINE - Our AlfaBot T36 floor cleaner equipped with a soft microfiber roller brush and a hard roller brush , you can apply it for multi-surface, such as hardwood floor, tile floor, marble floor and area rugs, tiles etc. Also, the roller brush cannot give scratches to the floors. It can pick up pet hair easily, remove the kitchen messy and sticky spills quickly, then remove your housework trouble at the same time!
- SELF CLEANING WITH DUAL TANK TECHNOLOGY - This T36 smart floor and carpet cleaner has the function of self-cleaning with a single button, it is not necessary to manually clean the roller brush, keep your hands-free. Two tank system keeps cleaning solution and dirty water separate to ensure that you're always cleaning with a fresh mix of water and formula. (Clean water tank capacity is 680ml, dirty water tank capacity is 450ml.)
- SWEET VOICE ASSISTANCE & SWEET SERVICE - T36 cordless vacuum and mop floor cleaner provides voice assistance which tells you the status of the wet dry floor washer in daily cleaning and let you know when to empty the dirty water tank, add water and recharge as it needs, remind you to turn on the self-cleaning function after charging on the station. Also, our technical support will provide sweet service once you have any problems with this machine, please feel free to contact us.
back to menu ↑
- CLEAN SMARTER - The 600 series is a great way to begin cleaning your home smarter. Just schedule it to clean up daily dirt, dust, and debris with the iRobot HOME app or your voice assistant. - for effortlessly clean floors.
- LOOSENS, LIFTS, & SUCTIONS - The 3 Stage Cleaning system & Dual Multi-Surface brushes grab dirt from carpets & hard floors, an Edge-Sweeping brush takes care of corners & edges.
- LEARNS YOUR LIFE LISTENS TO YOUR VOICE - Learns your cleaning habits to offer up personalized schedules, while Google Assistant & Alexa allow you to start cleaning with just the sound of your voice.
- ADAPTIVE NAVIGATION - A full suite of advanced sensors allow Roomba to navigate under & around furniture, & along edges. Cliff Detect keeps it from falling down stairs.
- SENSES & ELIMINATES DIRT - Dirt Detect Sensors alert your robot about dirtier areas of your home, like high-traffic spots, & cleans them more thoroughly.
- CLEAN FLOORS EVERYDAY - Provides a system of cleaning features & smart sensors that allow the robot to adjust to your unique home & deliver a daily clean.
- CLEANS CARPETS & HARD FLOORS - Auto-Adjust Cleaning Head automatically adapts its height to effectively clean carpets & hard floors.
- AUTOMATICALLY RECHARGES - Runs for up to 90 minutes before automatically docking & recharging.
- iRobot does not certify the quality or authenticity of products purchased from non-authorized resellers, & will not cover claims, provide service or offer replacements for products purchased from these sellers.
back to menu ↑
- 2X MORE CLEANING POWER than the competitive lightweight carpet cleaner
- POWERSPIN PET BRUSH ROLL: Delivers powerful carpet cleaning with protection
- HEATFORCE POWER: Delivering an even faster drying for any space
- LIGHTWEIGHT & COMPACT: Easy-to-use design for efficient cleaning and storage
- POWERFUL CLEANING: Good for high traffic areas and small spaces
- BONUS TOOL & CLEANING SOLUTION INCLUDED: Comes with a Hoover Nozzle Cleanout Tool and a Hoover Trial Size Solution to help enhance your cleaning performance
back to menu ↑
Best Vacuum Cleaner for Steps – BUYER’S GUIDEback to menu ↑
The vacuum that you choose should match the surface you intend to clean. If you have carpeted your floor, you need a powerful device that will reach deep into the fibers to remove debris. Here, suction power would be the specification to look out for. Some vacuum manufacturers indicate the level of suction achieve by their products while others don’t. In case they haven’t, the wattage of the motor can give you an idea of how powerful the vacuum is. That’s for the models that use outlets. For cordless sticks and handhelds, you can compare the battery capacity and the runtime.
Besides the suction power, some surfaces require the agitation or a spinning brush roll. If you have a carpet spread on the entire length of the stairway, strong suction is not enough. You need a motorized brush, especially if the stairway is high-traffic. Most sticks will have this feature. Choose those if you have carpeted surfaces to clean. There are other detailed features you may want to consider while at it, such as the anti-tangle capability for pet hair cleaning. Because you will most probably be using this vacuum to vacuum other areas in your home, you want it to be an all-round cleaning device.
The hard-to-reach areas will need the vacuum to have particular abilities. If using a canister vacuum, the extension hose would need to be long enough. You would also need an appliance that comes with attachments and tools to reach tight spots. These include crevice tools, which should also be long enough. Consider, therefore, the accessories that accompany the vacuum or those that you can buy separately.back to menu ↑
Cleaning stairs cannot be compared to vacuuming flat surfaces. Besides the risers, treads, and stair noses, there’s also the hauling of lifting the appliance up or down the staircase. That means you need to choose a vacuum that allows you to use it in such an environment. In that regard, I advise you to consider the weight and size. You don’t want a vacuum that will tire you out even before you’re halfway with cleaning. Apart from the portability issue, I would recommend that you choose a model that offers excellent maneuverability.
If you have decided on an upright or stick, find a model that features a swiveling body. Because you will need to turn it a lot during vacuuming activities, a 180-degree swivel and above would be the most suitable. Choose a vacuum that rolls along smoothly, too. If the staircase is carpeted, smooth movement is a feature you can’t afford to ignore. That means assessing the casters used.
Whether a handheld, stick, canister or upright vacuum, select the one that comes with an ergonomic handle. You will not tire quickly or numb your wrists too soon into the cleaning task. Some come with a carry handle to enhance portability, and you may want to consider that when choosing your stair vacuum. For a higher level of cleaning comfort, select a model whose controls are easy to access. Some have power and other buttons on the handle, which allows you to operate different functions on the go. Foot-operated release levers and buttons also make using the cleaning device easy and comfortable.back to menu ↑
You will have a choice of HEPA filters and standard ones. HEPA filtration allows people with allergy problems to use a vacuum without the worry of inhaling allergens. This filtration level comes at a price, though, and cleaners with HEPA filters are more expensive. Some vacuums come with washable filters that can be reused after cleaning them with water. You may choose those, and make maintaining your stair vacuum easy. HEPA filtration is advisable even if you or family member doesn’t suffer from allergies. An allergen-free air in your home is necessary, especially if you have toddlers and kids that may be affected by these particles.
Back to topback to menu ↑
Bagged or Bagless
I wrote about this subject a while ago. While the method to hold dirt doesn’t affect a vacuum’s ability to clean, it can mean a lot when it comes to maintenance. Bagged vacuums require you to purchase replacement bags. If you don’t want that expense, you may opt for the bagless types. However, you’ll need to clean their dirt bin after every usage. One of the advantages of bagged vacuums is the higher capacity. If your home is high-traffic, that should be something to think about. Bagless units do not have this advantage.
At times, vacuums with small bins subject you to frequent emptying. To avoid that, you would need to consider the capacity of the stair vacuum you intend to buy. Only go for it if the bin is large enough for the situation in your home. For a better choice, base your selection on the amount of dirt that you want to clean. If you have kids or pets, choose a vacuum whose bin is large.back to menu ↑
Frequently Asked Questionsback to menu ↑
Q. How do you vacuum carpet on stairs?
When vacuuming carpeted stairs, first remove any large debris that could clog the vacuum and dust the handrails and stair spindles. Next, attach a crevice tool to clean the corners. Once you have finished with the tight spaces, replace the attachment with a wider brush to clean the surface of each step. After vacuuming the flat stair surface, don’t forget to run it over the vertical risers in an up-and-down motion.back to menu ↑
Q. How often should you vacuum your stairs?
You should clean your stairs whenever you vacuum your whole house or when you notice hair or debris on the surface.back to menu ↑
Q. Is there a robot vacuum for stairs?
Since it cannot climb steps or access corners easily, a robot vacuum is not an ideal choice for stairs.back to menu ↑
Stairs can be a challenge to clean. But even more difficult is finding the right vacuum to clean them. With most staircases being high-traffic, you want a vacuum that will pick every dirt and debris. However, most powerful vacuums are usually bulky. If you have a full staircase, a heavy cleaning device wouldn’t be ideal. So how do you go about finding the best vacuum for stairs from among the many on the market?
I drafted this guide to help you with that. It contains the considerations to make, the ways to tell a good vacuum for the hard-to-reach areas of the staircase, and more. I also picked the best models to make finding the right one easy for you. In the list are vacuums that would suit not only the stairs but also your entire home. Let’s get started.