Best Vacuum Cleaner for Stairs – Armed with excellent shopping tips, you may now want some tips for cleaning stairs. Get the answers to these and other commonly asked questions about vacuuming stairs.
If you would like to do the work of choosing yourself, here is the list of all our vacuum reviews, ranked by their performance on stairs. Be careful not to get too caught up in the details. While no vacuum is perfect for every use, most are good enough to please almost everyone, and the differences are often not noticeable unless you really look for them.
ROUND UPback to menu ↑
1.Eureka RapidClean Pro
- Efficient Cordless Cleaning: Powered by the latest motor technology the Rapid Clean makes cleaning convenient and thorough
- 40 Minutes Long Lasting Runtime: Up to 40 min of fade-free runtime. Easily switch to MAX power on fingertip controls to increase suction for better cleaning on carpet and rugs
- Easy Rest Feature: Need to take a break. The specially designed Easy Rest nook allows you to safely prop the vacuum up on countertops and furniture
- Under Furniture Reach: We moved the dust cup to the front so you can lay the vacuum completely flat to reach under beds and furniture with ease
- LED Headlights: Bright beams light the way so you can see dust and debris that might otherwise have been missed and make cleaning under furniture much easier
back to menu ↑
- 2200mAh LITHIUM-ION BATTERY & 40MIN RUNTIME: Rechargeable 21.6V Lithium-Ion battery features up to 40 minutes of continuous runtime & conveniently stores on a wall mount so it’s always charged & ready to clean
- LESS THAN 5 POUNDS: This 2-in-1 Stick Vac has a super lightweight design & is perfect for above floor cleaning or carrying up and down stairs
- CORDLESS VACUUM w/ 2-SPEED MODES: 8000PA of powerful suction thoroughly cleans your home without the hassle of a cord. Choose between ECO and High speed modes for quick pickups on tile, hardwood floor, linoleum, carpet, & more
- 0.6L CAPACITY DUST CUP & HIGH-EFFICIENCY HEPA FILTRATION: HEPA filter adds an additional layer of filtration and capture 99.97% of dust, pet hair, pollen & more, down to 0.3 micron with WASHABLE HEPA filtration. The bagless design has an easy-to-empty dust cup with a 0.6L capacity
- BATTERY STATUS METER: Colorful LED lights indicate battery & charge level, motor speed, & more
back to menu ↑
- 【Impressive 25Kpa Suction】 Upgrade 280W motor generates a high-speed airflow to provide up to 25000 pa crazy suction in max mode, picks up debris and dust, crumbs and pet hairs instantly. And ensures comparatively quiet working environment, giving you a quiet cleaning experience.
- 【Flexible Motorized Floor Brush】 The cord-free design with versatile attachments gives you the freedom to easily converts to a handheld vacuum to reach corners, stairs and crevices, stiff/soft bristles are integrated together on one tangle-free roller perfect for various floor types and help prevent hair wrap; featured LED lights to keep every dark corners cleaning, such as dirt under furniture. Flexible 180°swivels sideways and 90°up and down let you clean the house in all direction.
- 【5 Stages Filtration System】 Inside adopts a high-efficiency 5-stage fully sealed cyclone filtration system and latest 5 concentric cyclone groups which captures 99.99% of fine particles as small as 0.1um and offers powerful centrifugul force to efficiently separate dirt. It provides the ultimate purified air and excellent cleaning experience for every user. Note：filter device is washable. Regular cleaning of the filter/sponge will prevent weak suction and blockage.
- 【Versatile】 Retractable metal tube for convenient adjusting heights, comes with storage rack saves your place, and the free-standing design allow the cordless stick vacuum to stand upright after use.
- 【1.2 L Large Capacity Collecting All】 Extra large 1.2 L dustbin with one press button for easy empty and can captures dirt and pet hair without leakage. This volume is sufficient for several rooms and car cleanings.
back to menu ↑
4.Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
- 1.5x Longer Runtime than Dyxon--especially adopts a detachable 8-cell lithium-ion battery, with a large capacity 2500mAh of each cell, which not only supports the strong power but also provides a longer working time and more long-lasting battery life than Dyxon, hence offers a whole-house cleaning. 35-45mins in standard mode 12KPa, 12-20mins in MAX mode 23KPa
- Super Powerful yet Ultra-Quiet--due to no friction of any carbon brush, S600’s upgraded high-power brushless motor generates much less heat and less noise (70db), which results in more energy-saving and longer service life (10 years), compared with other regular brushed motors. Furthermore, its 120,000 rpm fan speed brings super-strong fade-free suction power even when in low battery.
- Multi-purpose & Light Weight--thanks to the light body, the brush tool or crevice tool can be combined with the retractable tube to clean dust or spider webs on the curtains or ceiling, and can be switched into a handheld vacume to pick up debris on the table or in the gap between the car's seats; you can also attach the cleaner head to the main motor to clean the stairs with ease
- No Secondary Pollution--6-stage fully sealed cyclone filtration system captures large particles and 99.99% micro dust and allergans like pollen, pet dander, hence protects the motor from overheating because of blockage and also expels purified air. The washable high-density filter has a longer 2x service life than a HEPA filter. One button to quickly empty the 1.2L extra-large dust cup, no need to touch the dirt.
- Compact Storage | No-worry Service--Two easy storage ways: wall-hanging mode and self-standing mode. Each product ordered from our store comes with 24x7 online customer service and a 24-month 100% satisfactory after-sales service for vacuum cleaner . Any concerns, we are always here.
back to menu ↑
- Two ultra-powerful cyclonic air streams for incredible suction and long-lasting filter and motor life
- Detachable self-cleaning Pet Power Brush eliminates hair wrap from the floor, upholstery, and the brushroll
- Features an XL dust cup to tackle big jobs
- Lightweight and portable at only 2. 8 lbs.
- Contains a washable filter for easy cleanup.
- CleanTouch dirt ejector for easy, hands-free debris disposal
- Lithium-ion technology ensures reliable performance during each use
- Comes with a crevice tool and scrubbing brush clean hard-to-reach places and remove stuck-on dirt
back to menu ↑
- 【Impressive Suction Power】: The upgrade version provides 200-watt powerful suction to meet every cleaning demand. 2 power modes provide constant suction, standard 11kpa, 23kpa suction in MAX mode. And the cordless vacuum Can be used in family and car, giving you a quiet cleaning experience.
- 【2200mAh Large Battery】The cordless stick vacuum has outstanding 30 mins running time ensures thorough cleaning all around the house, picks up debris and dust, crumbs, and pet hairs in a minute. The stick vacuum performs well on all kinds of hard floors, carpet, stairs and windowsills, sofa and bed, desk and curtain, etc.
- 【4 Stages High-Efficiency Filtration System】: Complete sealing design and a high-density HEPA filter which captures 99.99% of the microscopic dust. This vacuum cleaner provides the ultimate purified air and excellent cleaning experience for every users. HEPA is washable and recyclable.
- 【Lightweight & Versatile】: 2.84lbs lightweight main body enables you easily clean up from the floor to high places, and the cordless vacuum stick comes with 3 serviceable attachments for added versatility. With an ergonomic handle, people can hold the machine to finish cleaning.
- 【Electric Turbo Floor Brush】: The Built-in electric motor to provide efficient vacuuming. LED light illuminates every dark corner and helps to track dust. Stiff nylon bristles and soft bristles, perform well on hard floors and carpets in terms of dust."
back to menu ↑
- Buy Bissell, save pets; Bissell will donate 5 dollars for each pet hair eraser Li Ion purchase, upon activation
- Remove more embedded dirt and pet hair with a motorized brush tool and lithium ion battery
- 14V lithium ion battery for lithium powered cleaning; Dirt cup capacity: 0.7 Litres
- Large, easy to empty dirt bin to help get rid of pet hair easily. Triple level filtration to help improve cleaning performance
- Set of specialized pet tools includes: Motorized brush tool, upholstery tool, and crevice tool
back to menu ↑
8.Flagship Dyson V7
- 【Powered by the Dyson digital motor V7 】 Engineered for powerful suction on carpets and hard floors; No-touch dirt emptying : No need to touch the dirt – just pull the lever to release. Quickly transforms to a handheld vacuum, to clean all around your home and car
- 【Whole-machine HEPA filtration】 Certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Whole-machine HEPA filtration ensures that allergens are trapped inside the machine, not expelled back into the home.
- 【Hygienic bin emptying+ Docking station 】 Just push the button to release the dirt. Tidily stores and recharges your Dyson V7 vacuum, so always ready for use.; Easily reaches up high : Lightweight and ergonomic to clean high-up places with one smooth motion. Direct drive cleaner head; Up to 6 minutes of fade free power (in Max mode); Drives stiff nylon bristles into carpets to capture deep down dirt
- 【Cord free+ Lightweight and versatile】 Hassle free. Filtration : Washable lifetime filter. Whole machine HEPA filtration captures allergens and expels cleaner air than the air you breathe. Lightweight and versatile, for easy home cleaning. Instant-release trigger means battery power is only used while it’s cleaning. Requires charging for 3.5 hours minimum before first use.
- 【Combination tool + Authorized Hubxcel Microfiber Cloth】 Two tools in one, for simple switching between surfaces; Crevice tool : Designed for precise cleaning around edges and narrow gaps; Up to 30 minutes of fade-free power : Powerful suction for whole-home cleaning. Actual run time will vary based on power mode and/or attachments used. 【Authorized Hubxcel One Microfiber Cloth】one cloth per order, colors may vary.
back to menu ↑
- [LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN] Easy to move, easy to store, easy to vacuum in tight spaces, the ultimate in convenient cleaning
- [ATTACHMENTS] Comes with a crevice nozzle and a brush, perfect for getting crumbs out of dashboards or lint off of furniture
- [DO IT ALL WITH THE SAME BATTERY] Worx Power Share is compatible with all Worx 20v and 40v tools, outdoor power and lifestyle products
- [STRONG SUCTION] 10 kPa is a lot of power for its weight class this tool might be small, but it’s mighty
- [EASY EMPTY] One-touch, no fuss button when the container is full and the washable triple HEPA filter keeps the dirt from cycling back into the air
- [RETRACTABLE HOSE] Or expandable, depending how you look at, it increases your effective cleaning radius
- [INCLUDES] 20V Cordless Portable Vacuum, 2.0Ah 20V Battery, 2A Charger, Flexible Crevice Nozzle, Brush Attachment
back to menu ↑
- [ Powerful Vaccum Clean ] This corded vacuum cleaner with the floor head for marble, tile, and hardwood floor. You can use it to pick up all kinds of crumbs, hair, dust, and even cat litter. Your floor will be much cleaner than ever (NOTE: Due to powerful suction, it is easy to fit tightly with sealed carpets, it is not suitable for use on carpets, perfect for hard floor)
- [ Cyclonic Filtration System ] Our HEPA vacuum cleaner has powerful motor picks up which can help to pick up particles like dust and pollen, while the washable filtration system captures 99.99% of the microscopic dust and stay away from secondary pollution
- [ Efficient cleaning ] Portable vacuum cleaner for home has three replaceable brush head, Great for tackling stairs, car cleaning, and hard to reach places. Crevice tool also included
- [ 2 IN 1 Stick&Handheld Vacuum Cleaner ] It is a small vacuum cleaner or easily converts it to a stick vacuum cleaner by adding the pole handle and floor nozzle. The body is only 3.3 lbs. Carry it upstairs or between rooms with ease. Can be operated smoothly with only one hand and is easy to clean from the floor to high places
- [ Reach High & Low ] Use the adjustable extension tube to add an extra 17-28 inches. Clean under furniture or even reach ceiling fans and vents.And clean in one pass with a 23 ft long power cord
back to menu ↑
Best Vacuum Cleaner for Stairs – BUYER’S GUIDEback to menu ↑
Bagged vs. bagless
While bagged vacuum cleaners were the mainstay of the cleaning world for decades, many new vacuum cleaners are bagless. This means that you won’t need to buy and replace the bag inside your vacuum cleaner regularly. Instead, you’ll just need to empty the dust collection canister in your bagless vacuum cleaner, and occasionally wash it out. The downside to bagless vacuums is that you’ll have to empty a dusty, dirty bin over a trash can—and that can make allergy sufferers sniffle and sneeze.
Bagged vacuum cleaners, on the other hand, collect everything into an easy-to-dispose-of bag that can simply be tossed in the trash. However, as the bag fills you may notice a reduction in suction. Plus, you’ll have the recurring cost of purchasing new vacuum bags—and sometimes they can be hard to track down for older, discontinued models of vacuum cleaners.back to menu ↑
If you’ve ever pushed around a vacuum cleaner for an extended cleaning session or lugged it up and down a flight of stairs, you know that the weight of a vacuum matters! It can be a pain to push and pull a heavy vacuum cleaner. Fortunately, many vacuum cleaners are designed to weigh less and be more nimble than the unwieldy machines that first entered home cleaning closets decades ago.
Upright vacuums tend to weigh the most—but they often have wide floorheads, more powerful motors, and larger dust bags to account for the added weight. Many upright vacuums weigh between 12 and 18 pounds, with some models weighing less or more. Canister vacuums vary widely in terms of weight. Some lightweight models barely tip the scale to 8 pounds, while others that offer performance and features to rival upright vacuums can weigh as much as 18 or 20 pounds. Cordless and stick vacuum cleaners are generally the most lightweight vacuums available. Intended for lighter cleaning, these vacuums are meant to be easy to pick up for spot cleaning or light duty vacuuming. They typically weigh between 3 and 7 pounds.back to menu ↑
The presence—or absence—of a brush roll on a vacuum cleaner may determine what type of flooring it’s best suited for. Vacuums with no brush roll are good for hardwood floors or tile flooring, since the stiff fibers of the brush roll may scratch the finish on your flooring or send dirt in all directions. Alternatively, some vacuums with a brush roll offer the ability to turn the rotation of the brush off—making it safe for use on hardwood floors and more effective on any type of hard surface flooring.
When it comes to plush carpeting, the brush roll gently agitates the carpet fibers to lift surface-level dirt along with debris at deeper layers—including dust, dander, and pet hair that may have settled into the carpet. And while most brush rolls will have no problem accomplishing this task on flat weave or low-pile carpet, medium-to-high pile rugs may require an adjustable pile height setting to ensure that the fibers of the rug won’t get tangled in the brush roll or stifle the suction coming from the nozzle.back to menu ↑
Many vacuums are equipped with a filtration system intended to trap fine particles of dust and dander that might otherwise be released with the exhaust of the vacuum cleaner. Some filters are washable, making them an affordable, easy-to-maintain choice. These are usually made of a sponge-like material that rinses easily and air dries quickly. Other filters are more paper-like in appearance and must be replaced on a schedule (usually every 6 months or so) to maintain effectiveness.
The gold standard in vacuum filtration is a HEPA filter, which stands for High-Efficiency Particulate Air. These ultra-fine filters will trap the tiniest of particles—as small as 0.3 microns in the case of true HEPA filters. Allergy-sufferers will benefit the most from a HEPA filtration system, but it can be a major plus for anyone looking to reduce dust, dander, pollen, and other small particles. HEPA filters will usually need to be replaced on a schedule to maintain their filtration capabilities, but a few newer versions offer the advantage of being washable.back to menu ↑
Accessories and Warranties
Once you pick your perfect vacuum cleaner, make sure it’s equipped with the right accessories to complete your cleaning package. Many additional tools are available to make the most of your vacuum’s suction power and sometimes these are included with the purchase of your vacuum, but other times you may need to purchase them separately. Items such as crevice tools, extension wands, upholstery brushes, and more will come in handy when you are trying to deep clean your home.
Some of the most popular cleaning accessories for vacuums are pet cleaning tools. These include nozzle attachments with grippy surfaces, fine-tooth combs, or stiff brushes to extract pet hair from your furniture upholstery, drapes, and more.
One other thing to consider is whether the vacuum you purchase is backed by a manufacturer’s warranty. Many models are covered by a 1- to 5-year warranty, depending on the make and model. These warranties typically cover defects in materials and workmanship but exclude items subject to normal wear and tear—like filters, brushes, and more. Some companies are known for outstanding warranties and customer service, including Dyson and Miele. Keep in mind that with most warranty services, there is a freight charge to ship the vacuum that can cost $20 or more depending on the company.back to menu ↑
Frequently Asked Questionsback to menu ↑
Q. How do you vacuum carpet on stairs?
When vacuuming carpeted stairs, first remove any large debris that could clog the vacuum and dust the handrails and stair spindles. Next, attach a crevice tool to clean the corners. Once you have finished with the tight spaces, replace the attachment with a wider brush to clean the surface of each step. After vacuuming the flat stair surface, don’t forget to run it over the vertical risers in an up-and-down motion.back to menu ↑
Q. How often should you vacuum your stairs?
You should clean your stairs whenever you vacuum your whole house or when you notice hair or debris on the surface.back to menu ↑
Q. Is there a robot vacuum for stairs?
Since it cannot climb steps or access corners easily, a robot vacuum is not an ideal choice for stairs.back to menu ↑
Even if you’re the type of person who doesn’t mind sticking to a regular cleaning schedule, there are some areas of your home that you’ll always dread cleaning. And one spot in particular that’s super tempting to skip over is the staircase. Since they’re often highly trafficked areas, stairs can get dirty very easily—especially when you’re a pet owner. That’s why it’s important to invest in a vacuum that works well on stairs.